Today signifies the end of my first week on my new raw diet. I couldn’t have done it without the help of Elizabeth Fraser of Girl Gone Raw. She is our local raw food enthusiast and helps others in the community reach their raw potential.
Elizabeth and her Veggie Maki Rolls
I have had many stomach issues since I was young and have tried many different avenues to help ease my pain. It wasn’t until recently when my symptoms were spiraling that I decided to try something drastic. I’d heard great things about raw food and Elizabeth in particular and decided to sign up for her 6 Weeks to a Healthier You program. I couldn’t be more pleased with my decision. In just one week, not only have my symptoms have gone away, but I’m actually feeling great!
I was a little nervous about diving in and leaving all my hot, greasy, fatty, cheesy foods behind. But, now I actually crave my raw creations. Its unbelieveable! Elizabeth has been very helpful each step of the way. We meet once a week to cook an entire meal complete with dessert and she also introduced me to all the raw food goodies at Whole Foods. So far, I’ve learned how to make my own almond milk, nut cheese, yummy cashew burgers, and even a chocolate bars!
I’ve just come home from another wonderful evening of raw food making with Elizabeth and want to share all the goodies we created.
Veggie Maki Rolls
-4 sheets of Nori
1 cup of cashews, soaked for 2 hours
1 minced scallion
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
sea salt to taste (1/4 tsp)
Veggies to Roll:
8 sprigs cilantro
1/2 cup of sprouts
3 Tbs nama shoyu
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs tahini
grated garlic or ginger
1. Chop and mix filling ingredients in food processor
2. Julienne carrot & cucumber, slice avocado & mango into strips.
3. Arrange filling an inch from bottom of nori. Place veggies on top.
4. With dry hands, roll the nori up and over the filling, keeping the roll as tight as possible. As you roll and see a half an inch left, wet the end like and envelope and seal the roll. Set aside.
5. Whisk your dip together. Slice roll into half inch slices and enjoy with dip. YUM!
This might be my favorite recipe so far, the dipping sauce is so flavorful and a great compliment to the rolls!
Veggie Stir Fry
2 medium parsnips
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 cups broccoli
1 1/2 cups mushrooms
1 cup snap peas
1 carrot julienned
black sesame seeds
1/3 cup of olive oil
2 Tbs nama shoyu
1 Tbs agave
1. Place broccoli, mushrooms, and marinade in a bowl. Stir to coat. Let it sit for 1/2 hour.
2. Peel parsnips, chop, and place in food processor with cashews and garlic. Blend until mixture has the texture of cous cous.
3. Julienne carrots and chop snap peas in half.
4. Mix cous cous, veggies, and broccoli mixture in a bowl. Enjoy!
(Modified from Rawmazing.com stir fry recipe)
Frozen Fruit Sorbet
2 frozen bananas
1 cup frozen mango
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/4-1/2 cup water or almond milk
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth & creamy- approx 1 minute.
Serve right away and top with fruit, nuts, coconut, or agave.
Thanks Elizabeth for guiding me in my raw food journey and for letting me share these great recipes!
You can find Elizabeth at www.girlgoneraw.com